Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dancing Queen


Okay maybe I am not a dancing queen, but I love to dance. God may not have blessed me with music abilities, but He has blessed me with rhythm, or what I have been told anyway. Before moving to Germany, I had been taking Oriental Folkloric dance (better known as bellydancing, a word coined by the Europeans and Americans). It was one of my outlets outside of teaching, and I made some wonderful friends through it. I was hoping to find some classes while in Germany, knowing that one of the best dancers lives in Germany, Leyla Jouvana. So I did some research and found a Leyla Jouvana workshop in Basel, only 20 minutes from where I live. One Saturday afternoon in February, about 20 others and I spent 3 hours shimmying til we couldn't shimmy anymore with Leyla. It was fabulous, and I got to know some Germans and Swiss girls. The fun part was I happen to be the only English speaking person, so Leyla had to translate for me....and sometimes would forget. But some of the girls knew English and would whisper the dance step to me. It was such a fun afternoon. Here is a pic of me and Leyla, and her her husband who does all the drumming. This pic is taken after the 3 hours of dancing and you could tell, sweaty and tired.

No comments: