Friday, February 29, 2008

Students.....

All the high school students are leaving in a few moments for high school retreat, and they seem really excited. They will be staying in a castle, so I know they are excited about that. The retreat is a time to hang out with friends, but also a time to dive into the Word. A guest speaker and musician will be there, and each student will be placed in a small group with a leader from the school. Nolan and I opted to not go...I actually needed today to catch up on grading and lesson planning. A lot of teachers are taking advantage of this day off :) They had too many adults sign up anyway, so I didn't feel so bad when I heard of this.

This morning I woke up and just began reflecting on the life of my students. I have one class of mostly boys who have been giving me trouble this year. They are new students to BFA and they all live in the same dorm, and seem to be best friends...so all of these factors have not made it easy in the classroom. I have prayed and struggled this year in what to do with these boys. I have talked to the administration and other teachers. I can't seem to pinpoint whether they are just being typical 17 year old boys, or is there something deeper within them. As a teacher, I just ask that they be respectful, but this is a challenge for them. And it seems to be getting worse. I know a few other teachers are having trouble as well. So my prayer is that this weekend would be a time of growth for them--and me as I stay home and reflect. May God intervene in this situation.

This was on my heart today and I felt like I needed to share on my blog so people could be praying.